Saturday, October 31, 2009

Chapter 4: Garbage cans much?

In the US everyone wants somewhere to put their garbage, but no one wants a landfill in their backyard. Understandable. Stagnant trash and waste smells awful and renders the soil inert to new growth.

In Mozambique there are no landfills, so everyone has one in their backyard. It's either buried in holes as far from the house as one can manage, or it is burned. We can all imagine the acrid smell of burning plastic from when we threw a little piece onto the campfire. Now magnify that 30x.

There are no social services for these people, so what other option do they have? Even in the places where there are public garbage programs they often simply will not come at all. They have to get rid of it, they certainly can't bury it in their neighbor's yard, or haul it a mile into the wilderness every week. It leaves only one reluctant alternative.

Their predicament is assuaged by the fact that Mozambicans generate a fraction of the waste that we do. But a little burning plastic goes a long way.

It's a huge problem on the continent that merits serious consideration. And undoubtedly there are at least a few NGOs targeting the problem. But like a former volunteer said, "I went to Nepal to work on woman's rights. But all the women wanted to talk about was their crops. They didn't want to talk about women's rights, they wanted to make sure they had enough food to eat." And I don't blame them.

I find out about my site on Thanksgiving day. Lord knows where I'll end up. Next week we travel throughout the country to visit the sites of current volunteers. It's a reminder of how very temporary this training is.

My old friend Jamie talked about seeing a For Sale sign on my house's front lawn in Sacramento. Whoa.

4 comments:

  1. keep up the good work ColiN!!! :)

    -Ale

    ReplyDelete
  2. i hope all is goin well, despite the weirdness of reality of being away from home (aka not being able to see the for sale sign on your house's lawn). Let us all know where you end up :) How is training going? What type of stuff do you do in training? I have been looking into possibly doing something abroad after graduation too. Possibly the PeaceC. but perhaps a year or two after graduation. So much to do so little time!
    I have seen campus tours going on so many times while im on campus and i cant help but always think of you--it reminds me of how i miss your LOUD ASS voice and your CRAZY ASS antics and your CHEEKS! LOL jk jk you are missed/ still on the minds and hearts of friends at UCLA :)
    you be taking care of yourself friend! LOVE reading your blog...its good to read up on you

    <3 janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Colin, it's your friendly neighborhood Chris Reyes. It's nice to hear you're still alive, not yet trampled by a hippo. It's a wonder how many things we can concern ourselves with once we don't have to struggle to eat everyday (though I wouldn't let women's rights slip your mind).

    I'm not sure how exactly this whole Peace Corps thing works, but I was wondering if perhaps you have some sort of mailing address there? I can't remember the last time I wrote a physical letter that wasn't directed towards Santa Claus and I thought who better to bother with my personal brand of banality than a friend in some foreign country. If you decline to comment I would completely understand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oi Colin!

    Boa noite! Como vai você?

    Eu, como você, preciso praticar mais...falando português.

    It's so great reading about your many adventures! This may sound strange, but I'm grateful that you are experiencing newness and that you are enjoying yourself! :)

    Foi um prazer...reading your blog. haha. I hope you are doing well.

    I send muitos abraços! :)

    ReplyDelete