Tuesday, March 2, 2010

While you're away

The Escolinha in front of my house continues. The little ones have stopped trying to escape, even when I hold the gate open to provoke them. Now my new favorite thing about Escolinha is the little girl who is afraid of white people. Every time she sees me she breaks out into ridiculous cartoon tears, frozen to the spot staring at me in pure terror. I wave and smile at her. It always makes me laugh and I look forward to it whenever I leave my house. Is that bad?

The Peace Corps has many mantras and catchphrases. One of the many is "things at home happen while you're away." Prepare yourself, we were told, for life at home to change. Your friends may change, move on or move away, one volunteer's sister got breast implants. My family moved away from my childhood home.

As you may recall I live on a catholic Mission with an Italian priest and two Italian lay people. One of them, we'll call her Katherine, has been living in Mozambique for ten years with the Priest. Here they have built a mission, a professional school that is the first of its kind in the region, and in just a few months complete construction on a massive church. Last Friday she found out her father was near death. She left for the airport that night and was on a plane to Italy early the next morning.

It was explained to me that she is an only child. If her father survives he will likely be in a vegetative or low-functioning state. In this event she will likely need to stay in Italy to help care for him. If her father does die her elderly mother will be left more or less alone and she would more than likely need to stay in Italy to be with her.

Abroad for more than ten years. Late one afternoon disaster at home and her life changes faster than she can get on a plane. I was talking to the other lay person, and trying to imagine what could possibly be going through her head. How do you manage one of life's hairpin turns? This on top of leaving a life you have known for so long, to return to a life that you left behind. I have my own petty insecurities about not having friends to return to, how would it be after ten years?

But things happen and life at home does not stop without us. It is the ultimate nightmare for us. We were given presentations on the logistics, what the Peace Corps will do under what circumstances. We have all had the odd nightmare or cold chill when the thinking of that plane ride home. It's easy to forget about, which is a merciful characteristic of being human. But life is not fair, and it doesn't call ahead to clear your schedule.

In the end, you the only thing you can hope for is luck.

I hired a woman to do my laundry, probably the best decision I have ever made. Booyah!

3 comments:

  1. Dearest Boy;
    Your childhood house has been sold. But your childhood home will always be with you and with us. Our homes are in the hearts of those who love us and those we love....having said that I think it is a really BAD idea to even entertain any thought of life away from home...my heart!!!
    And yes, it is terrible that you torture that little girl with smiles and waves. Given from what you have said, many Mozambicans only exposure to Americans is action movies...who knows what that poor child is thinking...you probably have a gun and know karate!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Colin, this one is from my mom but she can't figure out how to post so I'm helping with the technical side...

    Hi Colin! I love reading your adventures, especially your journeys into teaching! I've been thinking of teaching English through song, and how to get age and language appropriate songs to you. Also today (while I watched a bit of basketball) I was wondered if you were able to grow the traditional March Madness Mustache in Mozambique? Take care, and keep writing - pictures would be a wonderful addition!

    ReplyDelete